Thursday, February 16, 2012

Why no havering?


I've been back in Scotland (and England too) for two weeks visiting friends and family, which was wonderful but tiring! The grandsons are fabulous, growing like weeds and all the rest of the family are well.We managed a couple of days in Eyemouth too, then when Les returned to Hong Kong, I went to visit my sister in Bristol for 6 days, with David, Jen and the kids. A wee night with The Sisterhood, meeting up with friends at the pub and coffee with pal Ann and her cute granddaughter filled in the rest of the time. So a good trip! I also spent a morning in my home town, at Paisley Museum, with the Curator of Textiles as I am preparing a paper on Paisley Shawls for my study group. I think research always shows up how little I know about a subject I thought knew a lot about! all the research is done, now I just have to write the paper and make the powerpoint...

So back to Hong Kong on Sunday night,where it has been damp and foggy but warm, temperatures between 18 and 21 most days. From Monday to Wednesday it was like living in the clouds, the fog was so dense at the height of our apartment, we could not see anything at all. It was as if the windows had been painted over with grey paint.Yet at street level, no fog! Last night (Thurs) it cleared, thank goodness as we were having some colleagues of Les from the UK for the customary champagne and the laser light show. If you've already visited us, you know what our views are like, so it was great that it cleared up in time. If you've still to come, you have a treat in store on your first evening at 8.00pm. Champagne always included, no matter what the weather.

This week I have been catching up on sleep and catching up with friends. I went to my first NIA exercise class on Monday, it was brilliant, I can't wait till next week. It's a bit like zumba with some yoga thrown in.Look it up, they have a website.
Tuesday was study group in the morning and my Cantonese lesson in the afternoon. Stanley my tutor brought me the lovely cakes you see above because it was Valentine's Day. How sweet!
Wednesday brought some shock news, my good friend Sue is returnng to Australia in March instead of having another year here as her husband's work contract has been altered. It's so sad, we get on so well together I feel as if I've known her for ever and not just 9 months.
I met another friend for coffee and we hatched a farewell party for them.Lesley has arranged a sail on the old junk Aqua Luna to Stanley on the other side of the island, where we will have lunch then come back by bus. Susanne and Jean, you will remember the bus ride ( when we eventually found the bus). People pay at Alton towers for rides like that one!
After the light show last night we took them on our regular Thursday night trip to eat at Temple St Market which they thought was great.
Today I will do the ironing ( yes, really, ....when I get round to it...) and work on my paper. I don't really need to go out today, whch is ironic as it is bright and looks nice out.
We don't as yet have any weekend plans, if the weather is nice, we're thinking about a boat trip out to one of the islands for lunch. All in the name of research, you see, as we are soon to begin a 4 month stint as tour guides. It is so exciting, we have loads of visitors coming over. March: David Jen and the boys for 2 weeks, running into April: Add on Martin and Renee for one week overlap, then another week after D&co go back. A week free, then Margaret and Duncan are coming for 2 weeks, running into into May.Four weeks after that, Janie and Peter arrive in June.
Who will be next? Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment